Saturday, August 18, 2012

Red, White, and Chocolate

I delivered my first cake this evening, for a bride that I never met in person but only spoke with over the phone and through e-mail.

My sister-in-law was gracious enough to refer me to a friend who lives in NY but was getting married in Berkeley. We communicated for months about her cake and I was excited to finally get to do it.

I have only had red velvet cake once and it was terribly dry and the cream cheese frosting tasted artificial. But the recipe I made for this wedding cake combined with the recipe I use for cream cheese frosting was AMAZING. So was the vanilla cake and chocolate chip cake. And I can't say it enough, but I could eat Swiss buttercream by the spoonfuls.

Thankfully, I resisted devouring this cake and was able to deliver it in one piece.


The reception was held at the Berkeley City Club, formerly known as the Berkeley Women's City Club. Opened in 1930, it is rich in history and is absolutely gorgeous! I had to use the bathroom and couldn't get over the antique doorknobs. I could have roamed the building for hours but I don't want to be known as the pastry chef who crashes weddings.

So I will stick to just making the cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment